Sometimes it is the little things that blow our minds. Take our cherished pet, the cat. Whilst they may be common in your home & you spend part of everyday interacting with your favourite feline friends, there are still some things you may not know about them. We think you will love these incredible cat facts.
Amazing Cat Facts For Kids To Take To School
- A young Nikola Tesla was inspired to research electricity after his cat gave him a static shock after stroking its back.
- Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world & it is estimated that over 500 million domestic cats exist today, having been associated with humans for nearly 10000 years.
- Cats have very powerful night vision, allowing them to see light levels six times lower than what humans need to see in the dark.
- Much like a person's fingerprint is unique, a cats' nose is just as unique.
- The record for the world's oldest cat went to Creme Puff. According to the Guinness World Record Book the late Creme Puff from Austin, Texas lived to be 38 years & 3 days.
- The world's oldest living cat is Rubble, who turned 31 in May 2019.
- Guinness World Records do not keep tabs on heaviest or fattest animals (to prevent people from overfeeding their pets). But, it is believed that Siamese cat named Katy could have easily achieved the title as she weighed a whopping 50lbs in 2003.
- Tinker Toy was the smallest adult cat on earth weighing just 1lb 8oz, & measured a tiny 2.75 inches tall & 7.5 inches long.
- The Wealthiest cat record goes to Blackie. Blackie's owner, an antique dealer by the name Ben Rea, passed away in 1988 & left most of his estate (roughly $13 million) to his beloved pet.
- The record for the loudest purr by a domestic cat is currently held by Merlin. His purr is 67.8db. Most cats purr at around 25db.
Historical Cat Facts
- It was originally thought that the Egyptians domesticated the cat. However, in 2004, a 9,500-year-old cat grave was discovered by French archaeologists. This predates Egyptian cat art by more than 4,500 years.
- In ancient Egypt, when a cat died, members of the family would shave their eyebrows off. Also, they would embalm the cat with a wooden mask & mummify it.
- Cats in Ancient Egypt were held in incredibly high-regard & often depicted deities. Therefore, killing a cat here during those times meant the offender suffered the death penalty.
- During the 15th century, Pope Innocent VIII ordered the culling of cats & pronounced them to be demonic.
- In the 1870s, Belgium tried to train cats to deliver the mail. The result... turns out that cats weren’t great at delivering the goods on time or to the correct destination.
- Sir Isaac Newton is credited with the creating the cat flap, because his work was constantly interrupted by his own cat coming through the door.
Amazing Cat Facts Your Probably Did Not Know
- The first commercially cloned pet was a cat. Called Little Nicky, he cost $50,000, which also makes him one of the most expensive cats ever.
- Cats are highly sensitive to vibrations & are said to be able to detect earthquake tremors 10-15 minutes before humans can.
- A commemorative tower was built in Scotland for Towser the cat. She is said to have caught nearly 30,000 mice throughout her lifetime.
- Cats have the power to heal themselves by purring. A domestic cat’s purr has a very special frequency between 25 & 150 Hertz, which is the frequency at which muscles & bones best grow & repair themselves.
What About The Cat Lovers Of This World?
Now that you have acquired some new cat facts, it may be time to acquire some new cat goods! We are the official Simon's Cat web shop where you can buy from a vast selection of must-have merchandise, all the way through to special personalised gifts.
Visit the shop to browse our complete collection of Simon's Cat goods.